Northwest Indiana Truck Accident Lawyers
Negligent Operation, Trucking Regulation Violations & Truck Accidents in Merrillville, IN
Sharing the road with an 18-wheeler or other large commercial truck can be quite intimidating. These vehicles are immense and may be carrying extremely heavy or hazardous loads. If a commercial truck driver is negligent in any way, or if a truck is improperly maintained or loaded, the results can be disastrous. If you have been injured in a collision with a large truck, a truck accident attorney in Merrillville at Theodoros & Rooth, P.C. may be able to help you.
We have been representing clients across Indiana since 1988 and have built a reputation as a firm that goes the extra mile for the injured, helping them pursue financial compensation that can help them get their lives back on track. Truck accident claims are complex and may involve the additional issue of dealing with a large trucking company and federal trucking regulations, but we have the knowledge and experience with these case to provide insightful and effective legal counsel.
Call Merrillville truck accident lawyers at (219) 212-2462 for a free review of your truck accident case.
What Increases the Likelihood of a Truck Accident?
While every case is different, the following factors increase the likelihood of trucking accidents in Indiana’s roadways:
- Improperly loaded or overloaded trucks
- Improperly secured truck loads
- Fatigued truck drivers
- Distracted driving
- Speeding or driving too fast for current road/weather conditions
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failure to check blind spots
- Improper truck maintenance
- Truck mechanical failure
- Tire blowouts or brake failure
- Trucking company negligence
- Violations of hours-of-service regulations
- Poor road conditions
- Limited roadway visibility
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
What Should You Do After an Indiana Truck Accident?
Similar to any other car accident, there are several steps you should take to protect your own rights and preserve evidence following a truck accident:
- Get medical attention immediately, even if you feel okay you should always get yourself checked out by a medical professional
- If police do not arrive at the scene immediately, report the crash and remain at the scene until they arrive and you have spoken to them
- Get contact information and insurance information from any other drivers involved in the accident; you should also try to get the contact information for the trucking company
- Speak to any witnesses who saw the accident; get their contact information for following up later if possible
- Take photos of the crash, property damage, injuries, etc.
- Keep a record of your injuries and your recovery process, as well as any medical treatment you receive
- Be cautious about what information you share with insurance companies following the accident; you should always speak with a truck accident lawyer before assuming it's okay to share information with an insurance company
Liability After a Truck Accident
Determining who is liable for a truck accident can take some amount of investigation as there are many possible liable parties. Our firm is experienced in investigating truck accident claims and has the skill and knowledge to identify the appropriate party or parties who can be held responsible for your injuries.
The parties most often held responsible for an accident are the trucking company, the truck driver, and the truck manufacturer. The trucking company is found liable most of the time. One of the reasons for this is that they are often caught encouraging their drivers to break trucking regulations in order to help save their company time and money. If, however, an accident was caused by the negligence of a trucker, they may be held liable for an accident. Negligence can include drinking while driving or driving while distracted. Lastly if an accident was caused by a manufacturing defect the manufacturer of the truck may be held liable.
How Common Are Truck Accidents?
The most recent data published by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) showed the following trucking accident statistics for 2019:
- Over 4,000 individuals were killed in large truck crashes in 2019
- Only 16% of those killed were truck drivers, the remaining 67% were car and passenger vehicle occupants
- The fatality rate for 2019 was 31% higher than the fatality rate in 2010
- The majority of truck crashes occurred on interstates, freeways, and other major roads
Unfortunately, trucking accidents have been on the rise in the United States over the last 10 years.
Get Started on Your Case Today
When you work with Theodoros & Rooth, P.C., your truck accident lawyer in Merrillville will carefully analyze every aspect of your accident, your medical bills, and your claim. This is necessary to determine cause and liability so you can pursue the money you need for medical treatment, loss of earnings, and more.
Find out how we can help you – call (219) 212-2462 to schedule a free consultation today with our Merrillville truck accident attorneys!
From the beginning of Theodoros & Rooth, P.C.'s existence, our dedicated attorneys have cultivated a reputation for client-centered advocacy in matters involving serious injuries. Drivers who have been harmed in truck, car, or motorcycle accidents; patients harmed due to the negligence of a doctor, surgeon, nurse, or hospital’s carelessness; consumers hurt due to faulty products; and others who have been injured due to no fault of their own, have found a trusted team at our firm. We are devoted holding negligent parties accountable and standing up for patient safety, in order to promote a safer environment within the community as a whole. Our attorneys will take a team approach to help satisfy our clients’ unique needs in seeking the full and fair compensation they deserve.
This commitment has afforded us numerous accolades and award and we are truly proud of our long history of helping those who need it most. Learn more about how we may be able to help you by contacting our firm today.
Our local community means everything to us. We enjoy supporting our local events and organizations that work hard to make a difference.discover more
Our local community means everything to us. We enjoy supporting our local events and organizations that work hard to make a difference.learn more
Our team is dedicated to updating our clients about news related to personal injury claims. Check out our blog to read about our firm and other news.view all blogs