Merrillville Construction Accident Attorneys Serving Northwest Indiana
Construction Site Injury Claims And Compensation
Construction sites are potentially hazardous due to the equipment used, the temporary environment where structures are quickly assembled and disassembled, and the very physical nature of the job at hand. Workers may suffer minor scrapes or bruises while moving materials or they may be hit by falling debris and suffer a traumatic brain injury. Construction site injuries often occur because of:
- Falls from heights
- Falling objects
- Heavy equipment malfunctions
- Swinging cranes
- Toxic chemicals
- Defective ladders
- Malfunctioning forklifts or elevators
- Poorly constructed scaffolding
- Unsafe electrical fixtures and outlets
- Trench collapses
- Lift bucket accidents
State law says that workers injured on job sites must file a workers’ compensation claim for medical bills, lost wages and any other damages available by law in lieu of suing employers. Our Northwest Indiana construction accident attorneys can assist you with the process of notifying your employer of your injury and filing all necessary paperwork in a timely fashion. Get help with your claim by calling 219-733-8633. Our Merrillville construction accident lawyers are ready to help. Your initial consultation is free!
Third-Party Liability For Indiana Construction Accidents
Theodoros & Rooth, P.C., investigates to see if nonemployers were at fault in construction accidents and, if so, helps workers pursue cases against these third parties for compensation. Doing so gives them the opportunity to seek damages for intangible losses, such as loss of quality of life, and pain and suffering. Our lawyers examine elements such as whether:
- Property owners were negligent
- Other workers failed to do their duties
- Other construction companies were doing work at the same location
- Equipment manufacturers supplied defective products
- Drugs or alcohol played a role
We help you preserve evidence and can answer any questions you may have about your options. Reach out to our law office for a complimentary consultation with a knowledgeable construction accident lawyer from our Merrillville firm.
How Can Construction Sites Help Prevent Accidents?
Since each construction site is responsible for the safety of its workers, there should be certain preventative measures put in place to help avoid accidents. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the following preventative measures should be present on every construction site:
- Strong scaffolding that is equipped with guardrails, and well secured and tightly planked
- Fall protection equipment, including covers for floor holes, safe platforms or lifts, safety nets and personal fall arrest systems including body harnesses
- Sturdy ladders that are well maintained, the right height and can bear the proper load
- Clear stairways with proper treads to prevent slippage
- Proper trenching techniques to protect workers both in the trench and around it
- Proper training and safety precautions when using heavy machinery, including cranes and forklifts
In addition to the above safety precautions, each work site should be providing workers with proper headgear, eye protection and hearing protection. There should also be warning signs of any potential hazards around the work site.
Let Us Fight For You
If you ever find yourself on a work site that does not provide the above safety precautions, take extreme caution and reach out to the manager of the work site to ensure safety measures are put in place. Call 219-733-8633 or email us here to speak with a construction accident attorney in Merrillville. We proudly serve all of Northwest Indiana!