Class Action Attorneys In Northwest Indiana
What Is A Mass Tort Lawsuit?
Unfortunately, defective medical devices and dangerous drugs cause harm instead of helping patients who seek a medical solution for their illnesses or injuries. Failure to warn about side effects, misrepresentation about what a drug or device can do, or other types of negligence may provide grounds for an experienced lawyer to help you hold responsible parties accountable. When a significant number of patients suffer injuries from the same product defect, attorneys can bring mass tort lawsuits to recover compensation. Our Northwest Indiana mass tort lawyers at Theodoros & Rooth, P.C., in Indiana, have extensive experience handling drug and medical device defect litigation and work to maximize our clients’ recoveries.
Interested in learning more about class actions and your rights? Call 219-733-8633 for a free consultation.
Mass Tort Litigation Overview
Our Northwest Indiana class action attorneys are currently investigating claims involving:
- GranuFlo and NaturaLyte. Incorrect dosing or administration of GranuFlo and NaturaLyte during kidney dialysis can result in severe side effects or fatalities. Negligence on the part of the drug supplier, Fresenius Medical Care (FMC) – which did not alert outside clinics about potential dangers – led to patients needlessly suffering from strokes, cardiac arrest and other heart problems. FMC is America’s largest medical supplier of dialysis machines and products. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) made GranuFlo and NaturaLyte subject to a Class I recall, the most serious type of drug recall issued by the FDA.
- Yaz and Yasmin. Yaz and Yasmin are drugs produced by Bayer that are used mainly for birth control and hormone replacement therapy. Adverse side effects in women include blood clots, strokes, heart attacks and death.
- Trasylol. Also produced by Bayer, Trasylol is a drug that heart surgeons use to reduce bleeding during heart bypass surgery and other cardiac procedures. At the FDA’s request, Bayer stopped producing Trasylol because it put patients needlessly at risk for heart attacks, strokes, heart failure and kidney damage. The FDA adjudicated that surgeons abandon Trasylol and use other methods to control bleeding during surgery.
- Rapamune. When prescribed for off-label uses in transplants, Rapamune has resulted in blood clots, liver failure, bone marrow suppression and other adverse effects. Wyeth, the company that produces Rapamune, promoted sales for off-label use and, after receiving numerous reports of adverse side effects, the FDA issued a warning against off-label use.
- Mirena. Mirena is an intrauterine device (IUD) produced by Bayer that releases a type of synthetic progestin into the uterus as a contraceptive. Problems with Mirena involve the IUD migrating into other uterine areas or outside the uterus, embedding in uterine walls, causing perforation, ovarian cysts, organ damage and death.
- NuvaRing. Also a contraceptive device, NuvaRing was originally produced by Organon, a company that merged with Merck & Co. The device, when vaginally inserted, releases hormones that prevent conception. The major danger involved with NuvaRing is the risk of developing blood clots that can lead to strokes, heart attacks, pulmonary embolism and death.
- Hip replacements. Metal-on-metal hip implants can result in the release of microscopic metal particles that create adverse side effects such as metal poisoning, infection, intense inflammation, muscle loss, and trouble standing and walking. A number of manufacturers produce metal-on-metal hip implants subject to lawsuits because of these defects. Common metal-on-metal hip replacement manufacturers include DePuy, Zimmer, Smith & Nephew, and Biomet.
- Medtronic infuse bone growth and Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP). Medtronic produces an infuse bone growth with BMP, which is a genetically engineered protein that induces bone growth. Surgeons use it as a type of bone graft. However, the FDA only approved its use for specific procedures. Off-label uses encouraged by Medtronic have led to patients experiencing adverse side effects such as severe back or neck pain, airway compression, sterility, cancer and death.
Choose A Law Firm You Can Trust
The team you choose to represent your needs can define the quality of your case’s outcome. Let our extensive experience and sharp legal skills help you protect your best interests.