Merrillville Car Accident Attorneys Serving Northwest Indiana
Voted one of America's Best Law Firms in Indiana - Call (219) 212-2462
Car accidents are, unfortunately, a normal part of life. About 6 million auto accidents occur across the U.S. each year, and about 2.5 million people are injured in these collisions. Well over 30,000 lose their lives. Our car accident lawyers in Merrillville, Indiana are here to help after a serious accident. We offer a free initial consultation and welcome you to give us a call at (219) 212-2462 to find out more about your particular accident and rights.
Were you injured in a car accident in Northwest Indiana? Let our lawyers represent you and fight for your full compensation! Call (219) 212-2462 today or fill out our online contact form for a free consultation.
How Long Do I Have To File A Claim?
Every state places its own time limit on how long an injury victim has to file a claim to pursue compensation for their injuries, this rule is called the statute of limitations. In Indiana, the statute of limitations is two years. If a claimant tries to file outside of this time limit their case will most likely not be heard and they may lose their right to compensation.
Indiana is a Fault State
Indiana is a "fault" state when it comes to car accidents which means that after an accident occurs the party who was "at-fault" is the one who pays damages. Additionally, more than one party can be found at fault for an accident, this is referred to as a modified comparative negligence rule. As long as you are less than 50% at fault for an accident you are still eligible to pursue compensation. Any compensation recovered, however, will be reduced by your determined percentage of fault.
What To Do After A Car Accident
It is important to understand what to do after a car accident to ensure you are in compliance with the law, protect your health, and preserve your right to compensation. We can offer the following insight regarding the steps to take immediately after a crash:
- Remain at the scene. It is against the law to leave the scene of a car accident that has caused injury or property damage. Remain at the scene and exchange information with the other party or parties involved. (The only exception could be if you are in need of emergency medical care and are taken from the scene in an ambulance).
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel you are not seriously injured, it is important to see your doctor. Tell your doctor that you were in a car accident so he or she knows what type of injuries to look for. In some cases, head injuries or whiplash may not present immediately after a collision. Medical intervention could prevent further injury and will also support your claim.
- Gather as much evidence and information at the scene as possible. Take pictures, even from your cell phone, of the scene, the damage to your car, the damage to the other person’s car, the area around the accident, your injuries, and any other relevant details. Get the information of any witnesses who saw what occurred. Take notes so you do not forget important details.
- Contact an attorney. If you were seriously injured, you need to be sure that your auto insurance claim is paid fully and in a timely manner. Unrepresented, you could become the victim of unethical or outright illegal practices by insurance providers to undervalue or deny your claim. Involve a car accident attorney in Merrillville and make sure your rights are protected.
When Should You Contact An Attorney After a Car Accident?
While it's true that a minor fender bender may not always merit a lawyer, sometimes accident victims have a hard time realizing when hiring a lawyer may be the best option for their case. Insurance companies tend to shy away from paying more than the absolute minimum, and will often offer low-ball settlements in the hopes that the victim will accept without asking any questions. If you have experienced any of the following as a result of your accident, you should seriously consider hiring a lawyer to represent your best interests:
- You suffered serious injuries and have required medical treatment
- You believe your injuries will have long-term effects including disability or missed work
- You feel that the insurance company is not offering enough money to cover your expenses
- The insurance company is attempting to place some or all of the blame for the accident on you
Don't take a chance on securing a fair settlement! A professional car accident lawyer can help ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Call a Merrillville car accident lawyer for a free consultation at (219) 212-2462 today. We proudly serve all of Northwest Indiana!
From the beginning of Theodoros & Rooth, P.C.'s existence, our dedicated attorneys have cultivated a reputation for client-centered advocacy in matters involving serious injuries. Drivers who have been harmed in truck, car, or motorcycle accidents; patients harmed due to the negligence of a doctor, surgeon, nurse, or hospital’s carelessness; consumers hurt due to faulty products; and others who have been injured due to no fault of their own, have found a trusted team at our firm. We are devoted holding negligent parties accountable and standing up for patient safety, in order to promote a safer environment within the community as a whole. Our attorneys will take a team approach to help satisfy our clients’ unique needs in seeking the full and fair compensation they deserve.
This commitment has afforded us numerous accolades and award and we are truly proud of our long history of helping those who need it most. Learn more about how we may be able to help you by contacting our firm today.
Our local community means everything to us. We enjoy supporting our local events and organizations that work hard to make a difference.discover more
Our local community means everything to us. We enjoy supporting our local events and organizations that work hard to make a difference.learn more
Our team is dedicated to updating our clients about news related to personal injury claims. Check out our blog to read about our firm and other news.view all blogs