Personal Injury Advocates Serving Northwest Indiana
Motor Vehicle Accidents

Northwest Indiana Auto Accident Lawyers

Protecting Your Rights After a Car Accident

Car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and bicycle accidents all fall under the general category of motor vehicle accidents. These occur on highways, city streets, and even in driveways or parking lots. Approximately 2.5 million people are injured in traffic accidents across the U.S. each year. These collisions can cause catastrophic injuries, from whiplash to severe head trauma, and everything in between.

When you need experienced guidance after a serious motor vehicle accident, you can turn to the Northwest Indiana auto accident lawyers at Theodoros & Rooth, P.C. We are here to help you with your claim so you can get the medical care you need, fix your vehicle, cover living expenses, and start moving on with your life. With over 110 years of collective experience, our lawyers have the know-how to truly represent your interests.

Call (219) 212-2462 for a free auto accident consultation.

How Long Do I Have To File A Claim?

Every state places its own time limit on how long an injury victim has to file a claim to pursue compensation for their injuries, this rule is called the statute of limitations. In Indiana, the statute of limitations is two years. If a claimant tries to file outside of this time limit their case will most likely not be heard and they may lose their right to compensation.

Fault & Motor Vehicle Accidents in Indiana

Indiana uses a fault-based system for car accident claims. A person who holds the majority of blame for causing an accident can be held liable for the other party’s medical bills and other losses. This may be reduced if the other party was also partially responsible. For example:

  • Sam rear-ends Jill’s car on the freeway. Sam is mostly at fault for the collision because he failed to brake in time, but in investigating the accident it is discovered that Jill only had one working brake light. It is determined that she is 30% responsible and Sam is 70% responsible for the accident. If Jill’s claim is worth $10,000, Sam would be responsible for paying $7,000 and Jill would be responsible for the other $3,000.

Car accident claims are most often paid by at-fault parties’ auto insurance providers, though additional coverage may be sought from a victim’s own policy or other sources, in some cases. A Northwest Indiana auto accident attorney at Theodoros & Rooth, P.C. can make sure your interests are protected through the claims process, so you do not fall prey to an undervalued, delayed, or denied claim. We know how to research traffic accidents, gather evidence of fault, and present our cases to insurance providers to pursue fair compensation.

What Compensation Can I Recover for After a Car Accident?

There are two main types of compensation you will be able to pursue following a car accident, economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages, also called special damages, compensate for financial losses an injury victim suffers such as current and future medical expenses, and the inability to work. These types of damages are usually easy to quantify since they are compensating for specific numbers.

Non-economic damages, on the other hand, compensate for more abstract losses, including pain and suffering and emotional distress. Unlike economic damages, quantifying non-economic damages can be challenging and usually takes an experienced attorney to determine. Given the abstract nature of these damages, non-economic damages are also called general damages.

There is a third type of compensation called punitive damages, however, they are not often awarded. Punitive damages differ from general and special damages in that their main purpose is to punish a negligent party rather than compensate the injured party. As such they are often reserved for cases where the defendant knew their actions would cause harm but did so anyway.

What To Do After A Car Accident

It is important to understand what to do after a car accident to ensure you are in compliance with the law, protect your health, and preserve your right to compensation. We can offer the following insight regarding the steps to take immediately after a crash:

  • Remain at the scene. It is against the law to leave the scene of a car accident that has caused injury or property damage. Remain at the scene and exchange information with the other party or parties involved. (The only exception could be if you are in need of emergency medical care and are taken from the scene in an ambulance).
  • Seek medical attention. Even if you feel you are not seriously injured, it is important to see your doctor. Tell your doctor that you were in a car accident so he or she knows what type of injuries to look for. In some cases, head injuries or whiplash may not present immediately after a collision. Medical intervention could prevent further injury and will also support your claim.
  • Gather as much evidence and information at the scene as possible. Take pictures, even from your cell phone, of the scene, the damage to your car, the damage to the other person’s car, the area around the accident, your injuries, and any other relevant details. Get the information of any witnesses who saw what occurred. Take notes so you do not forget important details.
  • Contact an attorney. If you were seriously injured, you need to be sure that your auto insurance claim is paid fully and in a timely manner. Unrepresented, you could become the victim of unethical or outright illegal practices by insurance providers to undervalue or deny your claim. Involve an attorney and make sure your rights are protected.

Contact Theodoros & Rooth, P.C. today at (219) 212-2462 and find out how our car accident attorneys in Northwest Indiana can help you.

Contact Us Today!

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please select an option.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter the year your injury occurred.
    • Please enter a message.