Cerebral Palsy & Medical Malpractice
Northwest Indiana Birth Injury Lawyers
Cerebral palsy is a medical condition characterized by impaired muscle coordination and other disabilities, most often caused by damage to the brain before or during childbirth. Cases of cerebral palsy in infants and small children may be traced back to medical negligence on the part of a nurse, OB/GYN, midwife, or other medical professional before, during, or after labor and delivery. When this occurs, our firm stands prepared to hold at-fault parties accountable.
Theodoros & Rooth, P.C. provides compassionate assistance to families with children whose cerebral palsy stems from complications during or immediately after a child’s birth. Our Northwest Indiana birth injury lawyers fight for fair financial compensation to ensure our clients’ children can receive the treatment and care they need.
We have represented clients in cerebral palsy lawsuits involving:
- Head trauma
- Delayed delivery
- Bleeding in the brain
- Side effects from wrongly prescribed painkillers
- Oxygen deprivation
- Improper use of a vacuum extractor or forceps
- Failure to recognize fetal distress and perform a C-section
- Failure to diagnose and treat infant seizures
- Failure to appropriately handle a bad birth position
- Failure to appropriately treat respiratory distress
Types of Cerebral Palsy
The impact of cerebral palsy varies greatly depending on the type and severity of the condition. The main forms of cerebral palsy are:
- Spastic cerebral palsy, characterized by tight or rigid muscles with significantly limited movement. This is the most common form of cerebral palsy and is generally considered to be the most manageable form. It can impact one particular side of the body, leg and hip muscles, legs, arms, and the body trunk. Spastic cerebral palsy may also cause seizures and mental retardation.
- Dyskinetic or athetoid cerebral palsy, where a child’s intelligence is normal but muscle movement is hard to control. This is the second most common form of cerebral palsy, and children with this condition may have trouble walking, sitting, or speaking. They may also have issues with facial muscle control, drooling, and slurred speech.
- Ataxic cerebral palsy, where the cerebellum is damaged and the patient’s depth perception, overall balance, and coordination in the body’s trunk and limbs are affected. This is the rarest form of cerebral palsy. With this condition, routine everyday activities are difficult or impossible to perform and fine motor skills are severely limited.
If you are unsure whether your child has one of the above conditions, meet with a Northwest Indiana cerebral palsy attorney from our office for a free initial consultation to discuss your child’s medical condition. We frequently work with medical professionals and can refer you to a doctor with specific knowledge of cerebral palsy and its symptoms.
Call our offices at (219) 212-2462 today.
From the beginning of Theodoros & Rooth, P.C.'s existence, our dedicated attorneys have cultivated a reputation for client-centered advocacy in matters involving serious injuries. Drivers who have been harmed in truck, car, or motorcycle accidents; patients harmed due to the negligence of a doctor, surgeon, nurse, or hospital’s carelessness; consumers hurt due to faulty products; and others who have been injured due to no fault of their own, have found a trusted team at our firm. We are devoted holding negligent parties accountable and standing up for patient safety, in order to promote a safer environment within the community as a whole. Our attorneys will take a team approach to help satisfy our clients’ unique needs in seeking the full and fair compensation they deserve.
This commitment has afforded us numerous accolades and award and we are truly proud of our long history of helping those who need it most. Learn more about how we may be able to help you by contacting our firm today.
Our local community means everything to us. We enjoy supporting our local events and organizations that work hard to make a difference.discover more
Our local community means everything to us. We enjoy supporting our local events and organizations that work hard to make a difference.learn more
Our team is dedicated to updating our clients about news related to personal injury claims. Check out our blog to read about our firm and other news.view all blogs