Theodoros and Rooth, P.C. Logo

Separate Crashes Involving Drivers Ages 13

Two 13-year-old drivers — connected only by age and headlines — have been involved in separate roadway accidents in Indiana during recent months. The latest involves two juveniles reported as runaways. The underage drivers face criminal charges, and their parents are likely to face damages claims in civil court.

November 26, 2012

Indiana State Police in Pendleton reported a 13-year-old girl, driving a stolen 1998 Honda Accord carrying a 17-year-old male passenger, was driving erratically, swerving onto rumble strips and changing speeds along southbound I-65 near the 66-mile marker when spotted by police at approximately 6:30 am. A trooper attempted to stop the Honda, but the driver accelerated when the lights flashed on and continued traveling at a high rate of speed before exiting the Interstate at the 64-mile marker. The driver then failed an attempt to turn west onto State Road 58, causing the car to slide across the roadway and roll down an embankment, coming to rest upside down. The driver sustained non-life threatening injuries and was transported to Columbus Regional Hospital. The passenger’s injuries were thought to be serious. He was airlifted from the scene to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. The pair had been reported as runaways prior to the crash. The matter remains under investigation by Indiana State Police.

May 26, 2012

The 13-year-old driver of an SUV involved in a fatal crash has been arrested and charged with criminal recklessness and driving without a license. Indianapolis Police reported the SUV was traveling at a high rate of speed at approximately 6 pm in the 4000 block of Arquette Drive when it rolled, ejecting the driver’s 26-year-old cousin who was a passenger in the SUV. The passenger was transported to a nearby hospital where he died a short time later. The driver told police that he was instructed by his cousin to “gun it” shortly before the crash. The defendant was booked into a juvenile detention center.

If you, or a loved one, have been injured in an automobile accident, please contact a licensed attorney experienced in personal injury law to discuss the matter.